Hejhej, my name is Lucas¹. I craft all sorts of visual stuff with passionate people who love what they do —like me. I feel especially comfortable creating for screens, but I’m driven to explore, learn and experiment across all kind of media. Basically I’m simply obsessed with form and function, texture and material. I'm not specialised in anything, meaning I'm specialised in everything.
lucasdidthis is my tumblr-like personal blog as well as my very own design LAB, it's an accumulation of research and random finds, a showcase for creativity as well as an archive of random moments in time and a space somewhat relevant to me. This website is –at its very core– a reflection of my multidisciplinary hunger and insatiable curiosity, intended as an open ended collage, a collision of ideas, perspectives and industries.
So hopefully this 'digital garden' is going to be in flux forever, always growing, but I wrote about why I brought it back in the first place during 2021 as well as what kind of content I had in mind in great detail in an early article. Additionally, you can get an overview of the content available at this point by checking the existing categories and tags or heading over to the archive / list view.
Thanks for stopping by,
enjoy the blog and scroll slow!
(nichinichi kore kōnichi)
¹ Totally unexpected, I know ¯I_(ツ)_/¯
- lucasdidthis version 02020.1 “BRUTAL”
- CMS-system: Wordpress
- Typeface: Inter
- All content, unless otherwise stated, ©2012–2023 Lucas Rees
»Human beings can’t make perfect things. When I make something symmetric, something a little too perfect, I always want to break it, destroy it a little. [...]
I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion.« / Yōhji Yamamoto
»I’m not anti-search-engine, but i'm anti-easy. I think creating confusion is the best way to use the internet.« / Cali Thornhill DeWitt
»I don't like that word finish. When something is finished, that means it's dead, doesn't it? I believe in everlastingness. I never finish a painting — I just stop working on it for a while. I like painting because it's something I never come to the end of.« / Arshile Gorky
- Email me: blog (at) lucasdidthis (dot) com
No (standard) social media bullshit –pretty sure you're able to find those on your own, but a few other somewhat related places on the worldwideweb:
- my personal don't-call-it-a-portfolio-website: lucasrees.com (soonish)
- the german studio I'm part of: Wagnerwagner
- a german Virtual Reality association a colleague and I are forming: Virtuelle Kultur
- I've been trying to read more, those are the books: lesetagebu.ch
- the ever growing record collection I've started a decade ago: discogs.com
- sometimes I gather inspiration outside this blog: are.na
Some friends and fine people who have inspired and/or supported me during my creative career:
- Steffen Rümpler — mediastart
- Michael Jakob — forcewerk